For Immediate Release
Jenni Ricker, DC
The Health and Wellness Clinic
On August 31, 2020, the Health and Wellness Clinic, located at 22005 76th Ave. W, Edmonds, WA 98026, discovered that a storage room where patient records were kept was broken into. The storage room is attached to the clinic’s massage suite, separate from the clinic’s main building, and had a locked external door which opened to a fenced area where garbage receptacles were kept. Over the weekend of August 29-30, 2020, intruder(s) jumped the fence, broke the storage room door, and entered the storage room.
It is believed the intruder(s) rummaged through files and boxes, removed various papers from files and placed them in a pile, and stole a box of patient records. The personal information contained in the patient records included names, addresses, social security numbers, dates of birth, health history and treatment details.
To mitigate the risk of this incident, the Health and Wellness Clinic contacted the police on August 31st, who came to the premises, dusted for prints, and a statement and trespass form were completed. On 10/3/2020, the missing box of patient records was found by police, having been discarded in a ditch in Stanwood, and the Health and Wellness Clinic was able to retrieve it. Upon inspection.
To mitigate the risk of future incidents, all of the patient records kept in the storage room were promptly moved to an interior room in the main building at the Health and Wellness Clinic, which is secured and locked during non-business hours.
Anyone who has received services at the Health and Wellness Clinic is advised to contact the clinic to determine if their personal information was potentially breached. For those patients whose personal information was potentially breached, it is advised they immediately take the following steps:
- Call the toll-free numbers of any of the three major credit bureaus (below) to place a fraud alert on the individual’s credit report.
- Equifax: (800) 525-6285, www.equifax.com/
- Experian: (888) 397-3742, www.experian.com/
- TransUnion: (800) 680-7289, www.transunion.com/
- Order credit reports and examine them closely to look for signs of fraud, such as credit accounts that are new and unauthorized.
- Continue to monitor credit reports. Even though a fraud alert has been placed, individuals should continue to monitor their credit reports to ensure an imposter has not opened an account with their personal information. Through April 20, 2021, Experian, TransUnion and Equifax are offering all U.S. consumers free weekly credit reports through AnnualCreditReport.com.
The Health and Wellness Clinic apologizes for the stress and worry this situation has caused its patients and is committed to keeping patient information safe and secure.
Anyone with questions about this incident or to obtain additional information should contact the Health and Wellness Clinic at 425-776-3800, frontdesk@